Mrs Kirkwood – firstname.lastname@example.org
AQA – A LEVEL
Please see current prospectus for further information
“Very practical and enjoyable. Teachers are passionate about the subject.”
“The lessons teach me about the wider world and are interactive.”
“When I am confused I feel comfortable to ask for help.”
“A real insight to a future in business.”
WHY STUDY THIS SUBJECT?
Students who take Business Studies often also study Computing, Economics, Modern Languages, or Maths. But students committed to the arts or sciences should also consider taking Business Studies in this cost-centered world where most people will go on to either work for a business organisation or run their own business. All businesses (and other organisations like charities and hospitals) need sound business skills behind them.
WHAT SKILLS WILL I DEVELOP?
- How to assemble data and assess it.
- How to investigate facts and use deduction.
- How to put over your point of view fluently.
- How to work as a team to achieve results.
- This course assesses quantitative skills, making up a minimum of 10% of the overall marks. The skills tested include ratios, averages, fractions, percentages and calculation of profit and loss.
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
The Year 12 course includes the following topics.
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making.
- Decision making to improve marketing performance.
- Decision making to improve operational performance.
- Decision making to improve financial performance.
- Decision making to improve human resource performance.
In Year 13 we cover:
- Analysing the strategic position of a business.
- Choosing strategic direction.
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies.
- Managing strategic change.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
The A level is assessed by three two-hour written exams at the end of the course.
Paper 1: Multiple-choice questions, short answer and two essays.
Paper 2: Three compulsory data response questions.
Paper 3: One compulsory case study consisting of six questions.
WHAT ARE MY POST-18 OPTIONS?
This A Level will get you started in business and give you the skills and knowledge to progress to higher education. You could work for a corporation, or maybe a management consultancy.
WHAT EXTRA-CURRICULAR OPPORTUNITIES ARE THERE?
- Lead Learner
- Enterprise and Business Courses
- Business Visits and Seminars