As the warm weather approaches, Warwickshire Police have asked us to remind students of the danger of swimming in open water.
The river in St Nicholas Park is particularly popular with young people for swimming and jumping off the bridge.
Please could you discuss the danger of swimming in open water with your young person, and highlight the risks involved in this activity, which include:
- The shock of cold water can make swimming difficult and increase the difficulty in getting out of the water
- Lack of safety equipment and increased difficulty for rescue
- The height of the fall or jump if tombstoning
- The depth of the water – this changes and is unpredictable
- Underwater objects and hazards may not be visible
- Obstacles or other people in the water
- Strong currents can rapidly sweep people away
- Uneven banks and riverbeds
- Water quality, e.g. toxic algae blooms and industrial/agricultural pollution
Click here to return to the current newsletter