Mr Lowe – firstname.lastname@example.org
Examining board & Qualification
EDUQAS – A LEVEL
Please see current prospectus for further information
Mr Lowe says
“Film is the main cultural innovation and major art form of the last century. It is a hugely culturally significant industry that is constantly evolving and growing.
Previous Film Studies students of mine have achieved outstanding results, won national prizes, studied film at university and now work in the industry.”
WHY STUDY THIS SUBJECT?
Choose this course if you are seriously interested in film. If you perhaps already make films of any kind, then this is course for you. If you are enthusiastic, curious and creative then this is course for you.
If you think it will be easy and that we will just sit around watching old films all day, then you are seriously mistaken and should find alternative courses. If you are genuinely interested in a potential career in this industry and can demonstrate real enthusiasm for film, then you will be a natural.
WHAT SKILLS WILL I DEVELOP?
- Analysis and theoretical interpretations.
- Creativity and technological skills.
- Research and collaboration skills.
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
- study ways to ‘read’ a film and ways in which spectators respond to film,
- explore a diverse range of film and its social, cultural, political, historical and technological contexts,
- look at films’ significance in national and global contexts,
- apply critical approaches to film,
- apply knowledge and understanding of film through filmmaking.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
Component 1 (35%): American film since 1960s
Component 2 (35%): European film
And a non-exam assessment (30%): Film production
WHAT ARE MY POST-18 OPTIONS?
Film/TV/Media courses at university as well as film/TV/Media apprenticeships.
WHAT EXTRA-CURRICULAR OPPORTUNITIES ARE THERE?
At least one trip to a film production studio, visits to local places of film interest, film screenings as well as many opportunities to be film ambassadors, shoot and edit a range of films for many different purposes..