This course cannot be taken with Forensic & Criminal Investigation.
Dr A Sarjeant – firstname.lastname@example.org
EXAMINING BOARD & QUALIFICATION
Pearson/Edexcel – BTEC LEVEL 3 Certificate, Extended Certificate or NATIONAL DIPLOMA
At least a grade 5 in English and Maths plus three other grade 5s. Students below this may be admitted if deemed suitable following discussion with the course co-ordinator.
WHY STUDY THIS SUBJECT?
Applied Science will appeal to students wishing to further study all areas of science in a practical way in order to complete assignments which are marked by the class teacher. Only one unit each year is assessed by an exam, so Applied Science appeals to students who may struggle with examinations but prefer to complete coursework.
The course covers the key knowledge and practical skills required by students interested in pursuing a career within science (such as nursing or working as a technician). The transferable skills from this course are also suited to further careers in wider areas such as engineering or business.
WHAT SKILLS WILL I DEVELOP?
Students will develop the transferable and higher-order skills that are highly regarded by both higher education and employers. For example, carrying out practical laboratory tasks, planning investigations, evaluating case studies/sources of information to draw arguments together and produce forensic reports for use in court hearings.
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
This will depend on how many units you complete. Everyone taking this qualification will study the three mandatory units (1-3), including one unit that is externally assessed:
- Unit 1: Principles and Applications of Science 1 (exam)
- Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques (assignments marked by your teacher)
- Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills (assignments marked by your teacher)
- Unit 4: Human Physiology
Applied Science gives a broad coverage of all areas of Biology, Physics and Chemistry. There is some degree of choice on the units studied but generally the majority is Biology or Microbiology which students enjoy and can complete many practical experiments in.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
33% external assessment which is an exam.
The remaining 66% of the qualification is assessed by the class teacher and then checked by Edexcel (BTEC).
WHAT ARE MY POST-18 OPTIONS?
Taken alongside other qualifications, this course will prepare students for progression to a wider range of degree programmes. For example:
- BTEC Applied Science is accepted by a full range of university courses. So the UCAS points contribute to any chosen degree.
- Supports progression to higher education, to an apprenticeship or entry level employment in the science sector.
- Applied Science is accepted by nursing courses.
- If taken alongside an A level in Psychology, learners can progress to psychology courses.
- If taken alongside an A level in Sociology, learners can progress to criminology courses.
- Always check the entry requirements for degree programmes with specific Higher Education providers.