Professional Development and Training at Myton
At Myton School we are highly committed to the ongoing professional development of our entire staff. We support and value one another in contributing to a culture which is always seeking new ways to be better.
Investors in People report (October 2015)
A recent report by Investors in People highlighted a number of strengths, including:
- Many examples of career development and progression were found, aided and supported by the learning and development activities which staff members had undertaken. As several staff members commented, “If you want professional and career development, the opportunities are available to you in this school.”
- People stated that they received the support that they need to be effective in their role and that that they are empowered to act and make decisions about the work that they do. A strong sense of an ‘adult-adult’ culture was found to exist throughout the school.
- The majority of staff interviewed feel that the school has a culture that rewards and recognises people’s talents and contributions. This includes progression opportunities which bring with them financial incentives, as well as peer and colleague recognition.
- Throughout the interviews, staff talked about the great levels of teamwork, collegiality and collaboration which exists within the school. Staff also expressed that they are keen and willing to share their knowledge, experience and resources for the benefit of all.
CPD at Myton
The school supports continued professional development in a variety of ways:
- Funding attendance on external courses
- Providing internal courses delivered by our staff or visiting experts
- Bought-in resources & materials
- Partnership Plus – our subscription to shared CPD across Warwickshire and Coventry schools
- Visits to other establishments & networking meetings
- Financial assistance with further professional qualifications (eg Masters, diplomas)
- Peer observation & student shadowing
- Regular in school Teach Meets to share and discuss practice
- Coaching for leadership
- ITT mentoring & new staff ‘buddy’ support
- Lead Practitioners: demonstration lessons, coaching, mentoring, research and ‘tailored’ support and training
- Our own Middle Leader Coaches to support staff new to middle leadership or those encountering new experiences
- Dedicated time, resources and twilight training to support the appraisal/performance management of all staff
- We subscribe to Blue Sky whereby all staff track their progress in individual and portable portfolios
- Our in-house twilight programme is extensive and delivered by a range of staff members. It is highly valued and sessions are practical and relevant
If you join us, in whatever role, you will be involved in a comprehensive induction programme which will include the allocation of a ‘buddy’ who will offer advice and support in your initial year. If you are new to the teaching profession you will also have a mentor (a subject mentor and a Lead practitioner) who will support you in your development programme.