Careers Advice, Information and Guidance
Careers Education at Myton School
“Our mission is to inspire all our students to make the best transition possible into the right choice for their next steps, whether that is employment, further or higher education, and to support in the development of the skills needed to manage a fulfilling career in a changing world.”
Myton’s Careers Team
Mrs Eva Foster: Careers and Enterprise Co-ordinator. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlotte Durden: Careers and Work Related Learning Co-ordinator. Email: email@example.com
WHAT TO EXPECT YEAR BY YEAR
- Our Careers Adviser, will be available on Options Information Evening in February to answer any queries re GCSE options and careers.
- Careers Fair for Y10 students and parents. An opportunity to meet employers, training providers and universities and hear them talk about routes into professions and careers.
- Post 16 Options Day in July. A chance for students to meet Student Subject Ambassadors and hear about life in Myton Sixth Form, to meet local colleges and sample courses, and to learn more about apprenticeships and how to apply, in preparation for decisions and applications in Y11.
- Open evenings for colleges to be advertised to students throughout the term.
- Myton Sixth Form open evening – mid November.
- Our Careers Adviser will be available for consultation at the Parents’ Evening in November.
- Support with CV writing, including How to write your CV, an Example CV and a Word CV template.
- Practice interviews offered to all students from local employers.
- One-to-one support available in autumn and spring terms for help with decisions about post-16 options.
- Life skills programme including planning for university and employment during spring term.
- Careers Fair for Y12 students and parents. An opportunity to meet employers, training providers and universities and hear them talk about routes into professions and careers.
- One to one support available as needed.
- One to one support available as needed for help with final decisions re degree choices and with applications for apprenticeships, higher apprenticeships and school leaver schemes.
HELPFUL SITES FOR CAREERS INFORMATION
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk – Job Profiles
www.brightknowledge.org – career pathways
Moving On Magazine – an online magazine for 14-18 year olds devoted to providing a wide range of information regarding choices following school
www.totalprofessions.com – links to professional institutes who often have their own careers sections and lists of accredited degrees
www.bestcourse4me.com – for links between degrees and A levels
www.icould.com – including Buzz personality test
www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx – for info re ‘facilitating subjects’
www.ucas.com => course search => course entry requirements
www.prospects.ac.uk > Options with Your Degree Subject > Jobs & Work Experience > Industry Insights
Autocity Here you will find all things automotive, from the comprehensive career portal to industry news and events, funding information and downloadable resources. www.autocity.org.uk/
The JobPod is here to help you : www.brookes.ac.uk Oxford Brookes University’s JobPod helps to highlight career and HE options specifically tailored to each pupils preferred subjects and hobbies. Divided in to industry areas, the website aims to get students to think about school subjects choices, university courses available and ultimately, possible jobs in their area of interest.
WYGU uses a profiling engine which matches you to careers, helping you to decide, confirm, or rethink your career and/or course choices. www.wygu.com/
COA This is one of the leading suppliers of careers and higher education guidance for students throughout the UK, Europe and the rest of the world. They offer young people the best advice possible based on their own interests, experiences and academic abilities. www.coa.co.uk/
Careersbox is a careers education resource that is:
• FREE for everyone all year round
• there are no job boards and no adverts, just top quality film resources
• 500 job profile films, from all industry sectors
• the films showcase all the career destinations available to young people
• every Careersbox film is informative, educational and most importantly, fun
ALTERNATIVES TO UNIVERSITY INCLUDING HIGHER APPRENTICESHIPS, SPONSORED DEGREES AND SCHOOL LEAVER SCHEMES
www.archapprentices.co.uk/ (Digital Media and IT)
HELP WITH APPLICATIONS
www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship (National Apprenticeship Service)
www.warwickshire.gov.uk/apprenticeships (Warwickshire County Council Apprenticeships)
www.mgts.co.uk/ (Midland Group Training Services)
http://garagetraining.com/ (Motor Vehicle)
www.jtltraining.com/ (Plumbing and electrical)
www.warwickshire.ac.uk/courses/apprenticeships.aspx (Warwickshire College Apprenticeships)
www.cwtcov.co.uk/ (Coventry and Warwickshire Chamber Training)